What is a Postpartum Doula?
The role of a postpartum doula is unlike any other support.. It's to "mother the mother." As a postpartum doula my role is to help ease you into parenthood and answer all those burning questions or calm those anxious nerves you may have regarding the new world you've just entered.
There are various benefits from having the additional support of a Doula, for example;
- Increased chance of successful feeding (breast or bottle.. whichever you choose)
- Less chance of maternal postpartum depression and better coping skills
- Having a partner head off back to work with less anxiety
- Less maternal exhaustion, frustration and apprehension during the first few weeks
- Along with much more.
Who benefits from a Postpartum Doula?
- First time parents
- Parents of multiples
- Second (third, fourth... ) time parents that may need extra care/hands during transitioning older children
- Families with premature babies or infants with special needs
- Mothers whose partners need to return to work immediately
- Mothers coping with Postpartum Depression and/or Anxiety
- Recovering mothers from childbirth (cesarean or vaginal)